Kitchari is a traditional Ayurvedic recipe that’s nourishing, easy to digest, and promotes whole body healing.
1/2 cup yellow split pea mung beans
1 tbsp ghee
1 tsp black mustard seeds
2 inches cinnamon bark
2 cardamom pods
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 inch ginger finely chopped
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp coriander
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup basmati rice
6 cups filtered water
1. Rinse and soak mung beans in filtered water for 30mins.
2. Heat ghee in a stove top pot on med-low.
2. Add mustard seeds and cook until they pop.
4. Add the rest of the spices and sauté for a few minutes to release the fragrances.
5. Add the rice and beans.
6. Mix well with the spices
7. Add the water and bring to a boil
8. Simmer on low for 15-20mins
*stir occasionally, and serve. Enjoy!