- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 cup assorted nuts—cashews, brazil nuts, almonds, sunflower seeds
- 1 medium sized carrot, chopped
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1/4 cup water, or more to create desired consistency
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon vegetarian Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- flour, for dredging
- more oil, for frying
Saute mushrooms in oil until dry, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, grind nuts in a food processor until finely ground. Add chopped carrot, onion and garlic and process until ingredients are combined. Place mixture in a bowl with other ingredients, including mushrooms. Mix thoroughly & shape into patties. (Makes 4-6)
Dredge each patty in flour & pan fry in oil for around 7 minutes each side, medium heat.
Serve warm with grilled eggplant, top with a slice of tomato, cashew cheese & cilantro wasabi mayo.
Notes on ingredients: A variety of nuts were used, including selenium-rich Brazil nuts. The patties could be individually wrapped and frozen, just like the ones in your grocer’s freezer case.